Monday, July 25, 2011

Cranky Monkey Race - Wakefield Park


I took part in my first mountain bike race this past Sunday July 24.  The race is part of the Cranky Monkey Series (http://www.ex2adventures.com/tcm-schedule.php) which is a collection of 3 races at Wakefield Park, Shaeffer Farms and Fountainhead.  I've never ridden Shaeffer Farms, but if you read my blogs you know I've had my ups and downs at Fountainhead.

I figured since the Wilderness 101 is next Saturday, that I should be in good enough shape to make three 8 mile laps around Wakefield Park.  The part that I wasn't immediately prepared for was the part where I try to launch myself from the starting line like a cannon.  In hindsight, I probably should have eased into the race given that I really didn't give myself a proper warm-up.

I lined up with the other Clydesdales (over 200lbs) for heat 13.  The 13 permanently inked on my right calf should bring me luck over the next few months.  The start immediately goes up a gravel hill that isn't a big deal except when you've got 30 fat dudes all vying for position to overtake you.  I was around 10th going up the hill.  The next 1/2 mile I had to leisurely cruise behind a few guys because the trail simply isn't wide enough to pass fat guys.  This may have worked in my favor, as it served as a temporary throttle.  Once clear, I zoomed ahead of the 4 Michelin Men in front of me (one of them crashed in a rock garden, ouch!) and took the lead of that group.  

This turned out to be a short-term stay as I fell while climbing a short steep hill and tried to make the hard left back on the path.  I got up, ran with my bike a few meters and then couldn't get my clips anchored fast enough.  Then I heard PASSING! and let a few donuts through.  Just a little blood on both knees and my right shin.  At this point, I was sucking wind like a Hoover.  The heat, adrenaline and dust in my lungs all came together to make me start wondering why I was riding and not swimming at the pool.  I was pretty sure at this point that I was going to hurl and started debating if it would be easier to aim left, right or stop.

I kept riding and throttled back a bit until I acclimated to the conditions.  This was a good move, as there were only a handful of riders that passed me and I started feeling better with every mile.  By the end of the first loop, I was feeling great and knew I could catch the three girls that passed me who started in the heat 2 minutes after me.

As the 2nd loop neared completion, I rode faster and faster.  I had passed 2 of the 3 girls along with a few dudes.  The 3rd loop felt very fast.  I'm waiting to see the posted results so I can see the split times.  My unofficial time was 1hr 43min's.  I stuck around the award ceremony and I was only 5 minutes off the podium!  Dang, if only I hadn't been so slow on that first lap.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the Shaeffer and Fountainhead races.  Otherwise I'm sure I would have entered.  And yes, I did pass that 3rd girl on the 3rd loop.

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India