Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ride the Rockies - Day 2 to Durango

Day 2 - Ride the Rockies (Durango)


I've been having a debate with Michael about whether Colorado is considered the "Southwest".  I think yes, he says no.  Either way what we both agree on is that it's hot.  93 today, 95 yesterday, scorching.  This ride is every bit about managing one's capabilities beyond just the riding.  Like today, the ride was 5 hours with the last 2 or 3 in that heat.  Now it's a game of managing oneself to avoid heat exhaustion.  I'm hanging out in the school charging my devices, writing this blog, and mainly just keeping from the heat.
The secret to an easy ride.  We are looking kinda shabby.
I was walking down the hall and this guy was talking to his wife and all of a sudden he kinda screamed.  He said he was cramping really bad.  I've never cramped before, but this ride will do it to you.  I rode by a 69 year old man today who's shirt says "Death Before Sag".  He was on a mountain bike and carrying all his stuff; tent, sleeping bag, food & water, and clothes.  He's riding RTR and Tour of Colorado back to back.  I can't imagine how difficult that would be for 2 weeks.  Also passed the married couple again, Twisty and Jack.  They were on singles today instead of the tandem and doing quite well.

This ride is big enough, ~2000 riders, where you can see the same people but you also meet new people all the time.  I talked with a couple from the west side of Massachusetts.  They're recommendation is the Grey Lock Century.  I looked it up and it's equivalent to the Mountains of Misery ... so I think I'll skip that one :-)

This is known as a bike corral.
The ride today was 64 miles with about 40 of it uphill.  There were long crushing inclines that weren't too steep but very mentally taxing.  You'd get around a bend and then you'd see the road go up more and bend off in another direction.  It was difficult to keep well spirited during that time.  I often plan to take a video if I can just get to the top!

These videos are part of the really long incline.  A shot from the bottom, a shot from the top looking back down, and a shot of the downside of the reward.

Entering Durango was a lot of fun since it was all downhill.  I got up to ~45mph on the descent.  Durango seems to be a bigger town than Cortez and certainly Telluride.  We'll probably take the bus and go in town but I need to wait for the sun to go down.
















0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India