Tuesday, September 08, 2015

2015 Wakefield Chapel Sprint Triathlon


Of course my Buddy Bursch entered the race.

This sprint triathlon was a partial reason for my motivation to work out all summer.  The bigger reason is the Reston Olympic Triathlon next weekend, but we'll have to wait for those results.  This sprint triathlon was very well organized, nice courses and an overall joy to participate in.  I'm sure a good part of the "joy" came from the fact that I had trained all summer for the event.

It was a beautiful morning, about 65 degrees, to start the swim.  At the beginning of the summer I participated in the Reston Sprint Tri but that event was somewhat of a debacle.  That's what I get for not swimming before the event.  It was a 400m swim in a 50m pool.  My time was pretty good but I was completely, totally 100% spent for the rest of the event.

I wasn't going to make that mistake again for the Wakefield Sprint.  The swim ended up being pretty good with a 6:15 time.  The best part was it didn't wear me out much.  I did notice the quads a little used during the first couple miles of the bike.

Special shout out to Splash, Crash and Stumble.  This was their first triathlon participation.

Julia, Brooke and Michelle

The bike was about as fast as all my training runs.  My real goal was to ride fast and not crash.  Cory Parker wasn't so lucky, as she took a turn too wide, hit the curb and flipped over her bike onto the sidewalk.  Ouch!  She gets "Most Courageous Rider" for the day for finishing the ride.

The run portion is always a nightmare for me.  I'm just not very fast.  The first portion up Quarter Charge Court was "Zero Charge" for me.  I didn't even try to run up that hill.  However, I was feeling pretty good on the flats and downhills.  With 1.5 miles left, I heard a girl coming up behind me.  She ended up being the fastest female.  I decided to pick up the knees a bit as was surprised to hold her off.  At the end of the race I talked to hear and she said she was trying to pass me, but "that vomit feeling" held her back.  Yay for vomit!

Post race mimosas were great, same for the pancakes and all the other food.  Again, really well-run event.  We will be back next year, and I'm sure my summer will be filled with training events.

Here are the Garmin Stats




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the triathlon. Great results as well.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India