Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ride the Rockies - Day 4 to Alamosa

Day 4 - Pagosa Springs to Alamosa


I didn't want to get out of bed.  I was cold, stiff and 5am isn't in my genes.  So I slept until 5:45am.  Then I was just cold and stiff.  What laid ahead for the day was the most difficult climb all week.  To the top of Wolf Ridge which is an 8 mile ascent up 4000'.


The first 10 miles were brutal for me.  Not the rolling hills, but the cold, my knee, my other knee, my butt and my spirit.  It was a difficult 10 miles.  I kept pedaling the ascent to the first aid station where I was craving the flapjack breakfast.  After that station is when the real climb begins.  4 miles of 7-8% grade.  In the end it was not as difficult as I thought it would be.
Wolf Creek is a long ways up.
Michael was feeling really well and cruised up the mountain ahead of me.  As it turns out, altitude sickness is nothing to shake a stick at.  For some reason he got it really bad at the top of the mountain and almost cost him his ride.  But he's tough and determined so he figured out a way to keep going .. but he was very close to SAG.

I stopped a few times for some photo shoots that you can see here.

10,000 feet is way up there.  About a 3,700' foot climb.
After the climb, comes the big descent.  I reached 50 mph and then backed off a bit.  It was a really steep road but also very bumpy.  Kenny no like big bumps when riding 50 mph.  Actually scared me a bit so I slowed down to low 40's.  As if that would have made a difference if I flew onto the pavement.

And here's the reward for the climb.
Easy ride to Aid Station 3 as it was all downhill.  Then the fun began.  Nasty headwind that was very difficult to deal with.  I got in a pace line a few times but even those can be hard with that wind.  Stay on the pedal, you'll get there.

This is Michael when he reached the top.  That smile was lost shortly after.
The potatoes at the last aid station rocked!  Why do they always taste so good.  My Mountains of Misery ride has boiled potatoes that are crazy good .. but maybe I'm just hungry.

Here in Alamosa is pure festival.  We've got a carnival going on at our location, bands, homemade fudge and jugglers.  It's quite the party. But here I am in the rec center trying to stay cool and blogging.

Video Time!

I found a Bald Eagle.


Aid station before Wolf Creek ascent.


Partly up Wolf Creek .. not there yet.


Getting close to top but not there yet.


Finally, the descent.


I love following streams.


Headwinds are not so fun.


Alamosa party was a great time.


0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India