Thursday, October 21, 2010

Blue Ridge Mountain Road - Sept 7, 2010

On Saturday I set off with a work buddy to tackle the Blue Ridge Mountain Road out near Middleburg.  I rode this ride ~17 years ago and loved it.  However, back then I did strain a knee tendon that put me off biking for almost 1 year.  Needless to say, I've been tentative about tackling this ride again.

Conquering my fears, but not my anxieties I set off again Saturday.  I didn't sleep well the night before knowing this challenge was ahead.  I picked up my buddy around 9:30am and off to Middleburg we went.

The ride hasn't changed much from what I can tell.  I came close to following the same roads as last time.  Winding, hilly country roads with very little traffic.  It's beautiful scenery if you aren't struggling too much to appreciate it.

The introductory incline begins on Snickersville Road as a lead-in to the Blue Ridge Mountain Road.  Great Country Roads Farm is here which is a great place to bring the kids.  My first pain point of the ride occurred on this intro-hill but surprisingly it was the right knee.  It's always the left knee, why the right?

My buddy was commenting on just how tough that hill was, and I indicated that wasn't even the big hill.  A quick jog on Rt 17 and Blue Ridge Mountain Road was on the left side.  All my anticipation was that I was going to get a kink in my neck looking up to the top of the road, but it wasn't quite as steep as I remember.  Nonetheless, it's a formidable climb.  Bring on 1st gear and let the legs start churning!

It's probably around a 30 minute climb from Snickersville up to the first apex of BRM Road.  I don't know how those Tour de France guys can do 116 miles through the Pyrennes.

The top is more rolling hills which at this point in the ride I'm really tired of seeing.  It was somewhat disheartening everytime you turn the corner and see another decent climb in front of you.

On the way down, we reached 45 mph on a thin winding country road.  Now that almost got my shorts dirty.  That's pretty damn fast for me and especially to turn the bike with a crosswind.  You feel like any little bump will send you flying through the air.  Near the bottom the descent, I see a 15mph sign for a turn.  I look down and I'm doing 42mph ... I'm thinking to myself, "This is not my comfort zone."

The rest of the ride was beautiful country gazing while fighting a head wind along Atoka Road.  Overall, a great ride that I'll consider doing a 3rd time.
Miles to you,
K-Lance

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India