Saturday, November 27, 2010

I Qualified !!!

D-Salazar and K-Lance Post Race
The need for cross-training has led me to the running world with my friend D-Salazar (aka Danimal, aka Danny Clarke).  My near term running goal is to compete in a half-marathon in late March next year.  I tried to register for the event and learned that I need a qualifying run.  Why put off tomorrow what can be done today?

I woke up early this am to participate in the 8k Drumstix Dash race at Burke Lake Park.  On the way over to pick up D-Salazar, I kept thinking "52 minutes or bust!"  That's the required qualifying time for the half-marathon.  So I haven't run since early Spring ... how big a deal is an 8k?

The race started out with a quick pace resulting in a 7 min 16 sec first mile.  I think the 2nd mile was about 8:15 and miles 3 through 5 got progressively slower.  I've recently blogged about great ride support during my long bike rides.  Today I'm praising my quality run support by D-Salazar.  He waited when necessary, and let me walk a little bit ... very nice.  During the last mile he said, "K-Lance, just stay with me and we'll finish this last mile with plenty of time to spare."

Sure enough, K-Lance registered a 47 minute 23 second run thus placing me 25 out of 27 in my division.  Not sure what division means, but I'll take it.  D-Salazar registered a blazing time of 46 minutes 56 seconds.

Official race page: Drumstix Dash

I've got plenty of running ahead of me this winter if I'm going to hope to make 13 miles.  I can honestly say that I felt much better during the race at every point than I do now 5 hours later.

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India