Saturday, March 26, 2011

National Half Marathon - Check!


This morning was the National Half Marathon run which starts at RFK stadium. A 5am alarm went off and surprisingly I was able to get out of bed easily.  Guess it helped to go to bed at 8PM.  D-Salazar came to pick me up around 5:30am and off we went.  34 degrees and dark ... lovely.

I was fairly intimidated by this event, as my training runs consisted of 4, 5, and 6 miles.  One time I went 9 miles.  I just wasn't sure what was going to happen attempting 13.  The whole reason for this run was a deal with D-Salazar.  I run a half marathon, and he rides a century (100 miles).  I definitely think that he got the easier end of the deal.

The first 3 miles were fairly uncomfortable.  It'd been 11 days since I ran and everything felt heavy.  I did like running with the crowd, hearing everyone cheer on the sides, and the energy in the run.   D-Salazar and Mickey were already ahead of me and getting further ahead.

Around 5 and 6 miles I was thinking this was about as far as I can comfortably go so I started getting nervous.  All of sudden, out popped D-Salazar from the side of the road to join me on the run.  He didn't manage his fluid intake very well and had to pee for the entire first 8 miles.  He bailed from the porta-potty line when he saw me running up.  He later found an empty alley around mile 8.

Surprisingly, miles 7-11 were absolutely blissful.  I have no explanation for this but it felt like I was soaring down the road, feeling no pain, and for the first time actually enjoyed the running.  I was actually thinking "How hard can a full marathon be?"  That thought didn't last long.

Around 11.5 I had to stop to tie my shoe.  When I took off again, p-ting!  My left calf got the same tweak that put my training on schedule on hold twice.  I was thinking oh-man!  The last couple miles took more effort than I have put out for quite some time .. possibly ever.  It was hard, and I knew that if I stopped then I wouldn't be starting again.  It hurt, but I made it to the finish line and got my medal (~10 minutes ahead of D-
Salazar!)  My pace was around 10 minute miles.

My running days are officially behind me.  Many miles ahead on my bike!

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India