Monday, June 13, 2011

Fountain Head Regional Park - Solo

An incredible mountain biking trail
I set out Sunday morning to get in a few laps at Fountain Head.  As noted in previous blogs, this trail makes you "Bring It" for the entire 8 mile figure 8.  If you aren't ascending steep ravines like Cardiac Hill, Holy Grail Hill and Salamander Switchback, then you're crazy descending on roots and rocks with the ultimate test descending Shock-O-Billy hill.  Yes, that's a hill that even a Billy Goat would think twice about.  Even the "flat" terrain is loaded with rocks, roots, sharp turns and narrow paths with big drop-offs on one side.

I set out on my first lap and took it somewhat aggressive.  I powered up the hills and took the descents fairly quickly, with some caution so I didn't maim myself.  Even cautious riding draws blood as my rear wheel was slipping on the roots and I hammered my knee on the stem.

Different conditions make it a different ride.  The first time I rode this course it was very dry.  This time it was still wet from the nights rain.  This adds a few mud puddles and the worst is the slippery roots.  Ascending and turning on wet roots is problematic to say the least.  I equate it to the difference between a hard court and clay court in tennis.

I completed the first lap in a moderate 1 hour 10 minutes.  I stopped at the parking lot to refill fluids and have a quick bite.  The debate to tackle a second lap was in progress.  I was talking with a guy named Ed in the parking lot.  He said the second loop is usually easier because you're all warmed up and loose.  I couldn't fathom how that could be possible.

I did decide to take a second lap and amazingly cruised in at 1 hour 5 minutes.  For me, impressive.  It really wasn't much more difficult and seemed to go smoother than the first.   One noted change is the first lap I took Shock-O-Billy without pausing, the second I attacked that hill and even laid off the brakes for the bottom half of the hill.  Descending was generally faster as well.

Shock-O-Billy:  How to do it.  How not to.

I expect to get many more runs over the next 6 weeks in preparation for the Wilderness 101 mountain century on July 30.

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India