Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ride the Rockies - Day 1 to Cortez

Ride the Rockies - Day 1 to Cortez


Just a little climb to start, then a looooong downhill.
Getting out of bed today was bone chilling cold.  Apparently the basin traps all the cold air and it stays that way until the sunshine comes.  Around 6am this morning I saw the sun hitting the tops of the peaks and could only hope it would creep down the mountain faster.  It really was a bit cold and lots of people were shivering.  

Once we got on the road it was about 2 miles before the big hill.  It wasn't long after that when I could feel my fingers again.  I was wearing shorts and my rain coat which keeps me pretty warm.  But the fingers!

It's a big climb up to Lizard Pass.  I probably stayed there for a good 1.5 hours.  There was a DJ up there who was pretty good.  He kept getting people to play games.  There was an egg toss, pretty entertaining when the egg smashes all over you.  There was a sprint run up the grassy hill to see who could get to the t-shirt first.  A cookie eating contest.  Plus a Dancing with the Stars contest.  Guess which one I played in?  Yep, Dancing with the Stars.  My dance was the Polka which I've never done before.  So Paula and I took on another couple and  here's what happened.


Let me first say that we are at around 10,500' in elevation.  We hiked 2000' on Gunnison trail 2 days ago.  We took a 3 mile hike last night along with treking around the mountain top.  And I just rode up a 15 mile hill.  I lasted about 20 seconds with that Polka lunging.  The other couple won.  Dang, I could have gotten a t-shirt.

Michael pulled his 2nd clown move of the trip today.  We get in line for the flapjacks for $5 big one's and he's paying.  I didn't even bring my wallet on the ride, why?  Check the next paragraph.  So Michael reaches in one pocket, two pockets, three pockets .. at this point I'm thinking I'm not getting any flapjacks.  True enough, wallet left in bag and I'm left with eating green bananas for 60 miles.

This was a long hill to ride up.  But then we got to go down.
The next 60 miles was told to us to be all downhill.  Most of it was but not all of it.  We stopped at each Aid Station or a little fruit.  A note about the Aid Stations, they aren't like all the centuries in Virginia.  Virginia Aid Stations are smorgasbords of calories, from sandwiches, m&m's, granola bars, energy liquid goo, nuts, and lots of stuff.  All of it is free with admission.  These rest stops have free green bananas, or oranges, or grapes, and several vendors you have to pay.  Even the all you can eat pancake breakfast was $5 at Aid Station 1.  So no, I don't like the aid stations here.  Even the end of the rides have zero, nil, nada, nyet, non free food.  All vendors wanting you money.  One strange comment from someone living in Montrose was that the vendors area ll asking "stadium prices" for their food.  I had to ask her about that comment.  I'm thinking $7-10 bucks is a steal for what we are getting.  Her idea was $4 for a meal like the grilled cheese from Diki in Tellluride.

We kept chugging along on the trip.  Turns out it got really hot to the lower 90's.  Finally arriving in Cortez was a blessing.  Tumbleweed Alert!  This is the desert, not the plush area of Telluride.  Even right now i'm trying to cool myself down by coming into the rec center with the a/c.  The cold shower was also great.

I met Jack and Twisty today.  They got engaged 2 years ago on this ride.  I heard "Will you marry me?" was chalked on the ground somewhere along the ride.  So they thought it fitting to have their honeymoon on this ride.  They are then going to travel to Italy for even more biking.  As if 513 miles in one week isn't enough.  Listen to me now, hear me later, I'm going to sitting on the couch come Sunday and not off on another bike ride.

I passed a woman riding her mountain bike with big knobby tires today.  I slowed down to talk with her about her biking choice.  She says, 'It's the only bike I have".  I suggested high pressure tires for her, then I rolled past her in 3rd gear.  It brought a nightmare to mind when I road my mountain bike with huge 29x2.2 tires on the Seagull Century with Danimal.  That ride was much hard than it need to be.  We're planning on riding again this year but I'm going to have my road bike .... Danimal, I expect you to keep up.

View out our Cortez dining choice.
Cortez is a different kind of location from the Telluride site.  Telluride had the whole town involved with activities.  This place is just the rec center and the tent ensemble.  Nothing much to do.  Perhaps walk over to the McDonald's so I can get internet and upload a few videos.  Although I have to admit the a/c is really feeling good to me right now.  Remind me why I'm in a tent and not the gym floor?

Bonus time: George Hincapie was giving a talk to the crowd.  He took some pictures after the talk and check out this video!

So now my mission for the remainder of the day is to stay cool.  So how did I end up taking a hot chartered bus into Cortez to sit in a now crowded pasta place with a lobby about 85 degrees?  I'm medium well going on well done.  This is a pasta place so I'm guessing the pasta comes out steaming hot!


Ever wonder what a clown move looks like?


Good look at an aid station.


Next aid station at bottom of hill.


Gorgeous red rock.


Taking shelter from the sun.


This is George Hincapie


0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India